Friday, March 21, 2008

Mara Arrives

I know each birth is a unique experience, obviously the first child brings with it a lot of mystery and concern. Stacy's doctor, was sure that labor would occur Wednesday after a visit to see her. We went back to my work and I put in a couple of hours before I realized my mind was off in the clouds thinking about baby and mommy. After going and grabbing lunch at Wayne(Breshears) deli near my office Stacy still wasn't noticing strong enough change in her contractions for us to go to the hospital(only to be sent back home). So we went home and Stacy tried to rest and I worked on the house some more. Before we knew it it was evening and we had to decide between going in to the hospital to sit all night or catch a few hours of sleep at home and go in Thursday morning. We opted for the 2nd and woke up Thursday morning still wondering if it was too soon to go in.
We made it in to the hospital between 9 & 10 a.m. & they had her hooked up to monitors in the triage area until after noon when they moved us across the floor to a birthing room. Since baby hadn't dropped all the way & Stacy was staying at the same dilation they decided to induce her to help the contractions. For the next 8 hours & all the check ins from nurses, interns, doctors, etc she still didn't change. So they broke her water & the fun began.
I'll spare the description, most of you have already experienced it & words can't explain it & obviously as a man I have no ability to say much about it. Stacy was a trooper and went through it w/o the epideral. Shortly before 10 p.m. they had her do a trial push and by 10:12 Mara Sage Evans was born.

She is just the most beautiful thing and we couldn't help the tears that flowed as we watched them cleaning her off and getting her warmed up in the warming bed. With all the fun that follows the birth it was another 40 minutes before Stacy got to hold the baby.

We are very ecstatic and excited to have Mara. We just stare at her and enjoy her beautiful expressions and the reality that she is a recent arrival from God's presence. My soul couldn't help but give thanks to our Heavenly Father for this little miracle.


Thanks to the attending doctor who actually had Mara delivered before Stacy's doctor made it to the hospital.

6 comments:

Bekah said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you guys. Mara is beautiful!

The Burnah Clan said...

Wow you guys, congrats. Very exciting. Girls are so fun! Beautiful name...and beautiful baby...I'm so glad everything went well. Stac, you will be such a great mom!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Kevin says that she looks like a keeper....Eileen says, "We are on the Oregon coast, with all it's beauty, and there's nothing here that compares with Mara. She's beautiful!!!!! We want to meet her! Soon!
Love,
Uncle Kevin and Aunt Eileen

Kim C. said...

congratulations again! I am so excited to meet her!

Anonymous said...

Words can't quite describe and pictures don't quite do her justice--SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so glad she's here, and that everyone is healthy
Sherie & Mike

Anonymous said...

Mark and Stacy- we miss you in Utah
We are totally excited for you two. Mara is beatiful but I'm sure she's even more beautiful in person. Somehow Amanda and I are going to have to make a trip the Arizona and check her out...oh and see you two also.
Love to all,
Arlene and Amanda